18 Jul 2013

Can a Sentence Start with And, But or Because?

ATeacherWrites.com
No is the short answer - except, you can start a sentence with 'because' if you do it right.
The reason you can't start with 'and' or 'but' is that these words need to connect two ideas. Trying to start with 'And' is like trying to tow a trailer without a car.

[1] AND
This is used to connect ideas, to show that one thing happens after another or that they are linked. We use it in a list.
e.g. I love cricket, football, hockey, rugby and playing golf.
Last year, I read Running Wild and War Horse.

We also use it to join ideas or events in a sentence.
e.g. I am going to sit around and eat cake.
When you are making a fire you need to put big logs on the bottom and then it will burn for longer.

You can't do this:
And then it will burn for longer.
And eat cake.


[2] BUT
This shows a contrast, a problem or to highlight some extra important information. It links two ideas. One is connected to the other.
e.g. I love chocolate, but I'm so full I can't eat any more.
I'm normally scared of the dark, but I didn't mind going into the cellar.
I love my mum but sometimes she annoys me.
I play for my local cricket team and would love to be on the England team but first I will need to get into the Sussex team.
We can bake chocolate tart but you will need to wash your hands first.

You can't do this:
But you will need to wash your hands first.
But I'm so full I can't eat any more.


[3] BECAUSE
This is used to show cause and effect, or why things happen. People love to know the reasons why things happen.

The example below shows that you can put 'because' at the start of a sentence - but only if it contains two ideas.

I felt sick because I ate cheese, potato, crisps, ketchup, mackerel and marshmallows.
Because I ate cheese, potato, crisps, ketchup, mackerel and marshmallows, I felt sick.


Punctuation Exercise
Someone's gone mad with full-stops and splattered them in places they're not supposed to be! Use your tweezers to pull them out then miniaturise the capital letters.

[1] Zero Gravity Football

If I could play football I would most like to play it in zero gravity. And all the players would have to swim through the air. And be careful not to swim into each other. And get in a tangle. Because in zero gravity untangling people's arms. And legs will be tricky. The offside rule would be especially difficult to manage. But I am sure they'd think of a way maybe by using string. Which they could tie to the sides of the zero gravity chamber. But they would have to be careful not to get enmeshed in the string while they were playing though. Because this could be a health and safety risk.

[2] If I Had A Time Travel Machine

If I had a time travel machine I would go to the future. But not to the past without a doctor. Because I would not want to catch horrible past times diseases like the plague or leprosy. In the future I would look for cures to things like cancer. Which modern medicine is struggling to find. And I would bring it back to help humanity. Because this would be a good thing. But I think I would also have to take a doctor with me to the future to help me understand the medical knowledge. And also I think I would get a hover car because that would be awesome. And would make me the envy of my friends.

Get Answers
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

[1] Zero Gravity Football
If I could play football I would most like to play it in zero gravity and all the players would have to swim through the air and be careful not to swim into each other and get in a tangle because in zero gravity untangling people's arms and legs will be tricky. The offside rule would be especially difficult to manage but I am sure they'd think of a way maybe by using string which they could tie to the sides of the zero gravity chamber. They would have to be careful not to get enmeshed in the string while they were playing though because this could be a health and safety risk.

[2] If I Had A Time Travel Machine

If I had a time travel machine I would go to the future but not to the past without a doctor because I would not want to catch horrible past times diseases like the plague or leprosy. In the future I would look for cures to things like cancer which modern medicine is struggling to find and I would bring it back to help humanity because this would be a good thing. I think I would also have to take a doctor with me to the future to help me understand the medical knowledge and also I think I would get a hover car because that would be awesome and would make me the envy of my friends.